Improve Fleet Fuel Efficiency
The biggest challenge was that the company was not utilizing technology properly. Data and driving behavior was being recorded manually which meant that the numbers took a long time to note down and be analyzed. Live data was also not available and decisions could only be made after all the required data has been received. This was holding the company back; they knew they could corner more of the market if they had the ability to be more mobile. They hired the Fleet Management Services of TPL Trakker and following three critical issues of the company were addressed:
- Monitor Driving Behavior, Promoting Conservative Driving Habits
Aggressive driving (such as speeding, rapid acceleration, and braking) can lower fuel economy by 33% at highway speeds and by 5% on city streets. You can save fuel by holding drivers accountable to observe speed limits and avoid harsh stop-and-go driving.
- Plan More Efficient Routes & Make Sure There is No Route Deviation Without Cause
The number of vehicle miles travelled is one area where companies typically have limited, if any, control. Other than monitoring and enforcing personal use policies, companies are not privy to day-to-day business purpose data or have the tools to measure the reasonableness and justification for such use. Still, unnecessary trips with little business justification occur and such events drive up vehicle operating costs.
- Perform Required Engine Maintenance
Repairing a vehicle’s engine when it is noticeably out of tune can improve its fuel mileage by an average of 4%, depending on the issue repaired. For more serious maintenance problems that directly impact fuel consumption, such as a faulty oxygen sensor, the repair can improve a vehicle’s mileage by an astounding 40%.
TPL Trakker came up with a solution combining cutting edge technology with real world practicality. We provided a live Data Feed Dashboard to monitor driving efficiency, telematics solutions and maintenance alerts.
- TPL Trakker configured the system to report back to dispatch if idle minutes exceeded a minimum threshold or if vehicles were used off-hour or out-of-bounds. The system also sent an alert to dispatch if the driver exceeded certain speed thresholds that affect fuel economy. The same holds true for hard braking.
- TPL Trakker provided GPS and telematics solutions that not only reduced unnecessary mileage by providing improved routing but also discouraged excess usage which occurs when the driver believes “no one is looking.”
- TPL Trakker designed a dashboard for live alerts; when a vehicle’s engine is due for service to ensure that efficiencies are maintained.
Fuel is a necessity for your business & TPL Trakker can help you increase vehicle/truck fuel efficiency by identifying where in your fleet there is room for improvement. Once you know where fuel is slipping through the cracks, you can take steps to reduce your fuel costs, thereby improving your bottom line.